07 Aug Monster, ter Heide aan Zee, Israëlitische Gezondheidskolonie
Posted at 13:40h in Uncategorized
Address: Barendzstraat 24, Ter Heijde (Monster)
Opened in 1905, owned by the Jewish Community of Rotterdam. Between 1914 and 1917 in use as a school, because soldiers were housed in the real school. Normally it was in use as a holiday home for children of the Rotterdam orphanage.
On November 20, 1938 the first group of 18 German refugee children arrived here. It was in use for refugee children until October of 1939.
In 1943 it was demolished by the Nazis, along with the rest of the village, to build the Atlantikwall. (47), (48)
The director was sister Hirnheimer
47. Bert Moor, Westlandse Courant, 13 december 1993