07 Aug Amsterdam, Portuguese Boys Orphanage Abbi Jethomim (Father of Orphans)
Photo from joodsamsterdam.nl
Address: Plantage Middenlaan 80, Amsterdam
The building was used as an orphanage for Sephardic boys starting in February 1930: before that the orphanage was housed in the Jodenbreestraat. It could house 16 boys, but there wasn’t much demand. In 1943 the Luftwaffe demanded use of the building.
There were only three refugee children living here after November 22nd, 1938. These children were part of a group of children from the orphanage in Frankfurt am Main: in November 1938 they came to the Netherlands due to an agreement, which was made months earlier. (9)
9. Daniël Metz: een historisch overzicht van acht joodse weeshuizen in Nederland, Misjpoge 2005-2, 53