07 Aug Amsterdam, Plantage Franschelaan 13
Now: Henri Polaklaan 13
Refugees were living here between November 10, 1941 and late 1943.
In March 1941 the Nazis closed the “Werkdorp” in the Wieringermeer. A few weeks later, after having lived with families in Amsterdam, some of the boys who had been taken from there were deported to Mauthausen.
The boys who remained in Amsterdam were eventually housed in this house, that was owned by the Jewish Council. There were only elder boys living here, while some younger siblings were allowed to join them later on. Some of the other former Wieringers were living at Nicolaas Witsenkade 14, another house that was owned by the Jewish Council.
Some boys at the Plantage Franschelaan, courtesy of Hajo Meyer.