07 Aug Amsterdam, Boys Orphanage "Megadle Jethomim" (Upbringing of Orphans)
Picture from the Nieuw Israelitische Weekblad, April 1, 1938, page 9 (source: http://kranten.kb.nl/)
Address: Amstel 21, Amsterdam
The building was built in 1865 as an orphanage for Ashkenazi boys, which had been founded in 1738. It had an in-house synagogue, and a playground on the roof. During the war it housed more then 100 boys.
On November 22, 1938 three boys from Frankfurt am Main arrived here, due to an agreement made months earlier. In late March 1939 the orphanage was willing to take on 15 boys between 7 and 11 years old, for 3-4 months, for free. Nine boys were placed from Bergen and Wijk aan Zee, 6 came from Rotterdam. They wanted only orthodox boys, as this was an orthodox institution.
Like the girls orphanage the boys orphanage took in more boys in early June 1940, after three facilities especially for refugee children were closed.
The end came in February 1943 when the Nazis rounded up all the inhabitants and took them to Westerbork. (8)
After the war the building was used for boys leaving for Palestine, but it was demolished in 1977. Now a monument marks the spot.
8. Daniël Metz: een historisch overzicht van acht joodse weeshuizen in Nederland, Misjpoge 2005-2, 55